onsdag 4. mai 2016

Emotional safety


Research has shown that about one of every third person have had a panic attack the last year in the whole world. That means that 1,3 billion people have had one single panic attack in the last twelve months. This means that issues connected to mental health is way more common than most people think. Though unsafety is not the problem for all of those people, but for many of us it all comes down to the felling of not feeling safe, in this blog post I will concentrate on emotional safety.

Many of us grow up in an environment where it is not safe to show emotion, it could be sadness, happiness or any other emotion. When we are children, we have to fit in, its life or death for us. How many of us havent heard our parents say " go to your room" just because you got angry or sad and your parents couldn`t, or wouldn't , deal with you. As long as you show these emotions, you cant be a part of us. The unfortunate result is that you repress these feelings. The problem is however, that these feelings never goes away.

When my anxiety was at its worst, I felt like I never got any peace, every second of every day felt unsafe. For some reason I started watching a video on youtube where a woman talked about how to create the feeling of safety where there currently is none. She talked about how you get stuck in this downward spiral of negative thoughts, and the importance of creating a feeling of relief. One method for creating this feeling of safety was to create a safety list. The reason of this being that when the wave of uncertainty and this feeling of being unsafe arises, all logic of this is gone with the wind, so by having this pre-made list you can turn to it and always find something that usually gives you the feeling of some kind of relief or safety in the situation your in.

The start of my list looked like this:
- Hiding under my blanket in the sofa.
- Taking a hot shower.
- Listen to music.
- Hold a shopping cart while shopping.
- Carrying my mobile and car keys in my hand while walking outside or shopping.

For me this was a revolutionary though. I can create my own safety where there before was none.
Before I thought about this like a weakness, but I suddenly understood that it is OK to create the feeling of safety for yourself! It is OK to hold your shopping cart tight while shopping if that does the necessary errands achievable. As long as you are conscious of why you do it.

For me this small shift in behaviour and consciousness has helped me to the place in the process where I am now, where I no longer have to have my car keys or shopping cart available to feel safe while shopping, at least most of the time.



Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar